At Sea; December 1, 1916

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well, we left -------- Wednesday afternoon, it is a lovely place, the prettiest I have ever seen, but it was very hot while we were there, a sultry sort of heat we felt it a good deal in our heavy uniforms. The niggers there are - very amusing, they go bare-foot & their feet must be as hard as nails, the ricksha boys trot along on the metal & take no notice of it. I do not know how they stand running around like they do, pulling two or three passengers, but they say they only last about seven years. They wear horns & feathers on their heads and have a regular harvest overcharging our soldiers when they go there.



We thought fruit would be cheap, but we must have been too early as I saw grapes at 1/6 a lb, & other fruit was pretty dear. There is a Y.M.C.A. flat there & they give meals very cheap, tea a penny a cup & sandwiches a penny each that you would pay 3d. for in Australia. There is another place called the Wesley Hall where they give soldiers refreshments free & the girls sing good songs, it is a very nice place. The women & girls are much the same class as those in Australia.

There are electric cars there, double-deckers & soldiers ride free on them, but when you get on top they are pretty rocky, it would not do to go the pace in them that they do in Adelaide. I never saw the train service but I believe it is rather slow. I sent some post-cards to friends & some silver-leaves to mother I hope they get through alright. It is just about fall in now. So I must close, hoping you are all well.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother,

Tom.