France; April 9th 1918

My Dear People,

Just few lines to let you know I am getting along alright.

Since last writing I have received a Burra Record & 3 letters - one from Mum (Jan 9th) & two from Annie (Dec 2nd & 12th). I told you in my last letter that I had received 2 letters before that, so I think I have got just about all my letters now.

We were up near the line for a day or so but are back in fairly decent billets now. It has been raining a lot lately. Things have been a bit sloppy at times.

April 22nd

I am still quite well, but, have not been able to get any letters away since I started to write this. I hope you do not worry if my letters are a bit straggly now as we are likely to be fairly busy for awhile. Just at present we are having the time of our lives in a village which the French have left and this soldier has never been on such a good job in the army before, it would do me quite well for the duration of the war.




When we came here last night I got six letters. Two from Mum (Jan 27th & Feb 5th) 1 from Kath (Feb 6th) 2 from Annie (Jan 29th & Feb 9th), one from Siss (Feb 10th) & one from Hilda Pohlner. I was very glad to hear you were all doing fairly well & that you had received my Photo etc. from, Portsmouth. I told you in my last letter that I had received the 10/- note Kathleen sent me.

I would like to be able to tell you about the things I see in this village. It is a terrible thing to have to pack up & leave your home at very short notice & I am very sorry for the poor people who have to do it. There are some beautiful homes here & the soldiers are sleeping on feather beds with eider-down quilts & generally living like lords, as of course the French did not have time to take their stores with them. I have got some flour & intend having fritters for breakfast in the morning, the first since I left home.

All this comes strange after being in the line & I am afraid the troops will be ill, having such a good time. It is however a terrible shame for the people who have had to leave it & war is a rotten thing.

April 24th
We are still in the same place & I am doing quite well although Fritz annoys us now & again with nasty things that go bang. Ralph Thomas is indeed lucky to be exchanged as a prisoner of war & I suppose he will soon be back home now. I guess his mother will be pleased to have him home again.

Well I must close now, hoping you are all quite well,

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom