Dartford; December 13, 1917

No. 3 Australian Auxiliary Hospital

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know how I am getting along.

My leg is progressing very well but it will be some time before I am fit for furlough. I will most probably be in a hospital for Christmas which will do me very well. I do not like this place as well as Milton but, still it is very comfortable and we get plenty of good food. I hit the scales at 12st 4 lb so you can guess I am not doing too bad.

This is a big place and there are hundreds of Australians here. They come from hospitals all over England. Those who are fit are sent out on furlough and anyone who required massage treatment is sent to Hurdcott. This is a very cold place, quite close to the Thames but the wards are heated with steam pipes and are quite warm enough. There are a lot of factories about here but the town of Dartford does not seem much of a place.


View Larger Map

We have some frosty weather lately but I have not seem any snow yet. We had a polling day for the Conscription Referendum yesterday but, as I did not feel interested I did not vote.


Anti-conscription leaflet 1917

Well I will close now as there is a concert on and yours truly loves a bit of music or a good song.

Hoping you are all well.

I remain

Your Loving Son and Brother

Tom