Dartford; December 25, 1917

No 3. Australian Army Auxiliary Hospital

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am getting on alright.

My would is not quite healed up yet. We have had a good day to-day, the Sisters and doctors done all they possible could to make the day enjoyable for us.



They gave us a very nice dinner, Turkey, ham, pudding etc. half a pint of beer for those who could drink it. The Australian Red Cross gave us a parcel consisting of 1/2 doz packets of cigarettes, a pipe and tin of tobacco, a packet of cards, handkerchief and some chocolate. We also got some small cigars and other cigarettes, all of which were no use except for the handkerchief and the chocolate. The YMCA gave us a very handy writing wallet. We had some snow here the other day and a sharp frost after but it has all thawed away now.

There has been an air raid or two on London since I have been here. We can hear the places and anti-aircraft guns going.



I have seen some good displays in France, a plane shines like gold with the searchlights on it, but of course they score with there bombs sometimes. I have never had a bomb drop near me yet, only shells.

I hope you had a merry Christmas to-day, we are to have a concert here tonight.

Well I must close now hoping you are all quite well.

I remain

Your Loving Son and Brother,

Tom.