England; November 13, 1917

My Dear People,

As I told you I would give you a full account of my experience when I was hit. I will do so now.

I was not with the the Battalion at the time, but was doing some fatigue work (carrying duckboards and making roads behind the line) for the Engineers.


Australian soldiers walking on Duckboards

We were camped around the edge of a big mine crater in little sandbag dugouts. The dug-out I was in was not satisfactory to me so I was building another. I had it nearly finished and it was just getting dark on the 16 th October (Dad's and George's Birthday) when Fritz put over a few 5.9s. I did not take much notice but went on working, when one landed in the crater and I felt an awful blow on the leg.


A 5.9 gun

I waited a bit till the pain went as I thought it might have only been a piece of dirt. But when I looked down at my leg I saw the blood pouring away. I then called out that I was hit. To stop the blood, as I thought a main artery was cut, I took a few steps towards the dug-out where a Red Cross man lived, but feeling a bit weak, I laid down and went out for a bit.

When I came round they were working on my leg and someone called for a stretcher. It was not the artery that was cut but a big vein and the bleeding had stopped. I now began to demand my pack, which was in the dugout not far away because I wanted my razor. To pacify me they sent a fellow to get it but they carried me away so quick that he never caught us up. So I never got my razor or anything else.

Just before they started away with me they gave me a big nobbler of rum which I drank like water. Now the rum that is issues to troops is Dinkum stuff - 40 over proof - and as I have never drank my issue yet, this took considerable effect on me and I was very talkative indeed.



Well four of the lads carried me about half a mile to a dressing station but as there was no doctor there I was put in a motor and taken into one of the big dressing stations at Ypres. Here I was undressed and my wound washed and dressed. I had a hole about 1 1/2 inches long in my leg and 3-4 inches deep with a small piece of shell in the bottom. The orderlies got everything out of my pockets and put them in a little bag for me. I had about 60 francs on me so I have enough money for my requirements in hospital.

I was then put in a motor and sent down to a Casualty Clearing Station. The two stretcher-bearers who were there were arguing the point about all the work they had to do. I promptly roused on them and shut them up - you see the effects of the rum had not worn off.

I was then inoculated against Tetanus. A priest came round looking at my cards and enquired about confessions etc., but I assured him that I was quite a good boy. They then took me into the operating room and at 11.30 that night I was put under chloroform and ether. Now I think going under chloroform is lovely. I like it alright. An American doctor got to work on me, sliced my leg open, took out the piece of shell tied up the cut veins and stuffed the wound with packing so I could travel. It was still dangerous as the big artery ran on the side of the wound.

I came to a couple of hours later and was terrible sick. An Orderly came to me and cleaned things up a bit. I missed my teeth and he assured me that they were in the little bag I had. But I wasn't satisfied so he got the bag and showed them to me, all wrapped up in cotton wool. I then fished around in the bag and found the bit of shell wrapped up in the same way.

The next day I was very thirsty, making up the blood that I had lost, but the sister gave me plenty of lemon and water to drink. That night I was put in a Red Cross train and taken to No. 16 General Hospital Le-Treport arriving there about 3 pm next day. Those Red Cross trains are done up splendid, have comfortable beds in them and are alright.

I was looked after pretty well in the hospital . My leg did not trouble me much, although it would insist on lying a certain way for a start. The doctor gradually removed the packing from the wound and the hole is filled up now, so it ought to be all healed up in another month or so. I was in that hospital over three weeks and I was sent in a train to Havre and put on an Ambulance ship.

The Captain thought the Channel too rough to cross that night so we waited in the harbour till the next and then crossed. We had a lovely smooth trip. Those ships are very comfortable and the food we got on ours was splendid.

We pulled into Southampton yesterday morning, was put on a train and arrived at this hospital yesterday afternoon. This is Milton hospital close to Portsmouth. I am able to walk a bit now but I am still regarded as a bed patient.

I see by the news from Australia that there are a considerable number of strikes going on there. I saw in a Casualty list that Bob Crewes was wounded, young Dew from the Burra was wounded on the same job that I was - he got hit in the arm. I was not with him at the time but I do not think it was very serious.

The description I have written of my experiences on being hit are about the usual ones of a man hit behind the line. If a man is seriously hit in the line you have got to add a carry of about 3 miles on a stretcher. It takes about 4 men and is dreadful heavy work over shell holes, through mud and all sorts of tangles and probably be shelled on you on the way out.




Sometimes if you are not too bad to travel you are sent to England straight away. I would have liked to go to some hospital in Ireland but I could not get there. It is usual to get 10 days leave on leaving hospital and as I have about £25 on my Pay book I could have a slithering time on it if I liked.

Well I must close now. Hoping you are all well and assuring you that I am getting along quite well.

I remain,

Your Loving Son and Brother,

Tom.