Lyndhurst; March 18, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a card to let you know I am quite well.

This is rather a nice place, down here. The New Forest is all around here & a stone marking the place where one Walter Tyrell potted William Rufus is only about 4 miles away, but I have been too busy writing lectures & drawings to go & see it.


View Larger Map

This place is about 10 miles from Southampton, & I believe that a lot of American tourists come here in the summer time. There are about 100 in the school here, a good many of them being Officers. It is an Imperial School & one or two of the instructing Officers wear "petticoats" instead of trousers.

I went to a dance in the town Friday night just out-of curiosity. It was much the same as a Quadrille night at Mt. Bryan, their dances are much the same style as ours. I had two or three dances, but same old tale, can't stand it. They have two dances a week, the gents are soldiers & there are plenty of girls.

The camp is only about a mile from the town. The town is a fairly new one, with a lot of houses with "apartments to let" where I suppose the tourists live when they used to come here. To-day has been the nicest day I have seen in England so I guess the spring is coming.

Hoping you are all well,

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom.