Hurdcott; April 1, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

There has been an Australian mail in but I did not get any letters or Records. We are all ready for France & will be leaving here for a depot known as the "Bull Ring" in France on Tuesday. I am very glad to be going although I have had a pretty comfortable time here. When we get to this depot we will be fitted up with rifle & gas helmets & possibly steel helmets. Providing we are physically fit & able to pass some training tests, we will be sent on to our Battalion inside a week from now. I do not know exactly where our Battalion is now, but I do not think it is far from the line. I am in splendid condition & weigh in at about 11st. 101b. & am in perfect health.




We are issued with two sorts of gas helmets. If one gives out on you, you change it for the other. Providing you get your helmet on you are alright in a gas attack. There is a danger of a gas shell bursting near you, as they don't make much noise. It is quite possible to get a whiff or two, too much for the good of your lungs. We have to go through a gas chamber before we are allowed in the line.

They have issued us all with leather vests & water proof capes & also a very strong pair of black boots & they are very particular that every man has a good set of underclothes etc, before he leaves here. The scare I told you about in my last letter all fizzled out & they say it was only a sort of a general mobilization for what object I do not know.

I told you in a letter awhile ago that I had lent £10.0.0. to a Sgt Cutts here. In case that letter went astray the arrangements were that his people should pay the money into Elders to your account & you were then to sent the receipt I enclosed in the letter to Mrs. C.C. Cutts, 1 Hardy St., Goodwood.

They are cutting down the men's rations a bit here now on account of some shortage on account of shipping etc. It is not a very good place to go on short rations here as a fellow gets a considerable appetite over here. But our mess is still the same, but they rose the fees to 5/- a week. I do not know how they will grub us in France but I hope they don't starve us too much.

Tuesday April 3rd.
We had a very heavy fall of snow here last night & everything looks lovely this morning, it is the heaviest fall of snow I have seen.

We are leaving for France to-night, it will be a bit sloppy marching to the Station. There is going to be a big review of Australian troops on Friday by the King & Duke of Connaught at a place about 15 miles from here. They are giving the men some route march every day, to get them fit for the march. I will miss that as I will be in France.


I have not heard anything of Frank Richards since he left here, there would be a possibility of him returning to Australia on account of his knee, as the cold & wet of the trenches would very likely make it "crook" again. I think it is very probable that my mail his been going to France lately as after a unit is over here awhile the send their mail straight on to the Batt, although none of our 11/32 have gone over yet. There is about 90 of us going in this draft, & some more of tine other Battalion's men.

Well I must close now. Hoping you are all well as I am.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom