Dartford; December 30, 1917

No. 3 Australian Auxiliary Hospital

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am getting on alright.

I received your cable of 21st, the day before yesterday and I expect you would get some of my letters from hospital shortly after you sent it. There is no need to send me anything as I have everything I want.

I went to the entertainment yesterday at Crayford given by some of the Vickers workers. I was a first class affair. They gave us what hey called "Tea" but was more like dinner and some very good singing. I enjoy thise affairs immensely.


View Larger Map

It has been raining a little here today and is fairly cold.

We have Mass here 3 or 4 times a week, but the priest was away at Hurdcott for a few weeks and only came back here a day or so before Christmas.

Hurdcott is the convelescent home and they do massage work there now. I think the 8th training Battalion is shifted to Codford now. I will not go through the 8th T>B> but will most probably go to the Command Depot at Sutton Veney and from there to France.

My wound is not healed up yet but is getting along very nicely. I go for a good long walk every afternoon trying to get back into a bit of form again. I am a bit afraid my leg will not stand the route marches like it used to. One of the big nerves was cut by the piece of shell and I have a strip of "dead" flesh in my leg whichh will affect me for along time and I don't suppose I will ever be quite the same again.

Hoping you are all well.

I remain

Your loving Son and Brother,

Tom.