Maylands, October 13th 1916

My Dear People, 

Just a few lines to let you know that I am quite well, I am writing this from Jim Griffen's. I got a letter from Nell, this morning but the post card Annie sent me last week has turned up missing I don't know where it got to. It was a holiday in camp Wednesday but I did not go out anywhere as I had some studying to do. 

What did your wool bring or did you hold it back? Mr Dare got a good price I hear 17 1/4. 

I suppose there is great excitement over the calling up of lads up there. There is down here but I do not see much of it and I don't have time to read the papers much. They tell me that the Government has sold half a million tons of wheat so if that is a fact it will clear away a bit of the old season's wheat. 

We have been pretty busy with our drill and lectures this week, we are ready to out for a sham attack before the school is finished, it generally takes the form of trying to block a convoy supposed to be carrying ammunition or something, we will very likely have to sleep out a night and cook our own meals (good fun). There is a good many men at Mitcham now the biggest parade I have seen here since I have been at Mitcham and I hear there is about 900 in the Exhibition. 

Jack O'Rielly came down the other day. As to that stove part it is the hinge part like I got before. I will try to get it if I get a chance. Wishing Father many happy returns on his birthday and George too, I must close now hoping you are all well. 

I remain

Your loving Son and Brother

Tom.