Warminster, UK; March 3, 1918

No 3 Battalion
Overseas Training Brigade
Sandhill Camp

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

I received 7 letters last week, one from Mum (Dec 16th) two from Siss (Dec 18th and 30th) one from Aunt Bessie, one from Elsie Bryce and two from Annie (Dec 28th and 1st Jan). I was very glad to hear you were all doing alright but sorry that you were worrying about me as I was having a splendid time.

There are a good many of my letters missing. I suppose they are chasing me round the hospitals I have been in. Noel Tiver is in this camp. He had an ingrowing toenail & was lucky enough to be sent to England with it.

From Mum's letter I see that some of your ideas of a wounded man's treatment are wrong. For instance, when you heard I had been sent to England you thought I was badly hit. This is not always so as men are sent to England with very slight affairs sometimes. It depends on the hospitals in France. If a big "stunt" is coming off all the hospitals in France are cleared out to make room for the wounded who are sure to come. That was how Noel got over with such a trifle. He was in hospital in France & nearly right, when a special clear-out was made for the Cambrai business.



So if I get wounded again & sent to England, do not think it is serious until the Military tell you so. You can rely on the casualty reports being pretty correct as I have seen men wounded & then seen the reports on them & they are pretty accurate. Do not worry the Red Cross or cable, as if a man is dangerously ill the authorities always let his people know. If an English soldier is very ill in a French hospital the doctor sends for his people & the Government pay their expenses & send them over to France to see their son. Of course that would be impossible for an Australian. I do not know if you are aware of it but that is what most soldiers pray for - a nice little wound to get them into hospital for a spell. A man who is, so seriously damaged as to be discharged is considered the luckiest man alive.

The weather here is lovely now (real spring) & yesterday was the nicest day I have seen in England. At Church this morning the priest gave us a great sermon on our boys marrying English girls. (There were 800 Australians married English girls last month). He was pointing out the difficulties & dangers of doing this especially to Catholics who of course generally marry Protestant girls. Besides this he did not think it fair to forget about the girls that most of our chaps have waiting for them in Australia. I do not think it is fair either. It is a standing joke in this country that the "Aussies" English wife does not have to knit him any socks as he gets plenty of parcels from the girl he left in Australia. Of course some of the English girls are alrignt, but, the class that most of our chaps marry are, well "not much".

I expect to go to France on Thursday to have another go at the horrible Hun. If I don't have any harder time than I did last trip I will be alright. The weather from now on should not be so bad. Aunty tells me Kath has got six months leave (whats the matter Kathy tired of the game?) & that Annie is going to T.T.C.

I suppose Will put in some good work while Megs was staying with you (go for it while you'rw young Will). By the way, who is Phil 0' Rielly marrying, Miss Nugent? I am enclosing a little sprig, of shamrock. Noel Tiver tells me that there were big bush fires in the North East. The feed must have been pretty good & the wheat crops must have been pretty wood too. It is a pity you cannot sell it straight out for full price.

I was glad to hear Ralph Thomas had only been taken prisoner. I expect he will have a pretty rough time for a while but he will be fairly sure of getting home alright. I suppose his mother is worrying about him.

Well I will close now hoping you are all quite well.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom