France; June 22, 1917

My Dear People,Add Video
Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

We have shifted camp since I last wrote to you & are back nearer civilisation than I have been since I joined the Battalion. We are camped in huts in a lovely place amongst big trees. About a mile away there is a nice little lake where we can swim. The whole Battalion went down last Monday & everybody went in. It is alright as it has been pretty warm here lately. We have had a lot of thunderstorms since we came here, with a fair drop of rain.



I got a letter from Mick Griffen the other day. He was well, & says that Bert Lilley has been on a trip to Scotland. I have not had any letters from home last mail, but I got a Burra Record. One of the Storrs from Booborowie is in my section. He is a nice lad & I think is rather good friends with Tohl's. (Ha,Ha.) He tells me they are building a hotel at Booborowie so I am tipping some real good fun out there now. I saw in a Chronicle supplement that a family group of Wises & noticed Aunty Ada there.

Harry Tralaggan went away to a rest camp with his shoulder. Our Company is to represent the Battalion in a Divisional Company drill competition on Sunday so everybody is polishing up his gear & getting it spruce. I do not know how long we will be here but it is a very nice country round here in the Summer.

Saturday 23rd.
I saw Walter Christian yesterday. He came over to see Harry but he is not back yet,.Walter looks very well. I hear Roy Beckwith is going home, he has been badly smashed up, lost a leg & had his arm smashed. Very bad luck for him but they say he is quite happy. Walter had a letter from Johnny Simpson telling him of the long harvest he had & said he had to get a Massey Thresher to finish with.

Well I must close now hoping you are all quite well.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom