France; June 28, 1918

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well. Since writing to you I have received 6 letters - one for Sis (April 4th) one from Kath (March 29th) one from Aunt Bessie (April 8th) one from Nell (March 31st) and two from Annie (9th and 21st of April). I was very pleases to get these letters and to hear that you are all doing well. I also got my Records and see that there had been a lot of socials etc. around there lately.

I was surprised ti hear of the rumour that John Best was married but I hope that it is true and if it is I wish him the best of luck. I was sorry to hear that Ralph Thomas had lost his leg. I did not know he had been wounded as badly as that.

I got a letter from Mark Griffen. He is in hospital in England, wounded in the elbow, very near the same place as before. he does not expect to be laid up very long with it this time.

I went and saw Buzz Simmons about a fortnight ago. He looks well and hardly knew me. He was mending boots and says the job will do him - better than carting ammunition.

Kathleen says Mrs. Siegert wanted to know if I had heard anything of her boy George but I have not been near his Battalion so I have not had a chance to make any enquiries. "Missing" is a very unsatisfactory return in a casualty list. I feel sorry for anyone who has their soldier laddies reported that way. If they are not reported Prisoners of War within 2 or 3 months, there is very little chance of them being heard of again. So I am very much afraid that little Georgie was killed. I see by the Record that Augie Pohler was given a great reception home. Hilda is evidently doing well too with her reciting etc. By the way I hear that she has got herself a returned soldier boy - is that so?

I am very glad I did not order a French tart for John Best is that is his game. Frank Richards and Harry Tralaggan are quite alright. Wally Arnolds is having a spell out of the line this trip, he well deserves it as he has done a lot of line work.

We got some Christmas parcels yesterday and some shirts and socks from the Australian Comfort Fund. It was rather late for Christmas parcels but they are just as welcome. We often get tobacco, cocoa and milk etc. from the Fund.

I will close now hoping you are all well.

I remain

Your Loving Son and Brother,

Tom.