France; May 8, 1917

My Dear Mother,

I am writing to you for your Birthday. I hope this reaches you in time. Wishing you many happy returns of the day. I am going to send you a little souvenir, which I hope you will get. It is a String of Rosary Beads and in the cross is a piece of glass. When you look through this the right way you can see 4 views of the Albert Cathedral - 2 before being bombarded and 2 as it is now. It show the leaning figure of the Virgin Mother and Child very well. There are some words in French - all of which I do not know the meaning other than Allemands, which means Germans. I expect you will be able to get someone who knows a little French to tell you what the other words are.



I have got 2 letters since I wrote last - one from Annie (Feb 12th) and one from Kath (Feb 4th).

We have had perfect weather here for the last fortnight. Quite hot in fact. It was lovely, but we had a little rain this morning. I do not know when I will be going in the line. We had sports a few miles away and concerts. They took us on a considerable route march to one sports and they were very good. Well I must close now as the is not much news here.

Hoping you are all quite well as I am.

I remain

Your Loving Son

Tom