France; August 28, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

Since lest writing I have received 4 letters one from Annie (June 3rd) & one from Nell (June 17th) one from Mum & Annie (June 24 & 27th) & one from Mrs. Taylor. I was glad to hear you were all quite well but I am sorry Dad could not get a man for the tilling as it is rather heavy work on Will.

I saw Sgt Lackman the other day. He is quite well & wished to be remembered to you. I saw in a casualty list that Joe Statton was severely wounded. Frank Cahill showed me a letter from his mother the other day, she said she was quite well & was working somewhere near Adelaide. She said Will's girl (Ada O.) had left Beckwith's & was back in Town. I suppose Will had a real good time while she was up. Her brother is returning he has lost his arm. Mrs. Taylor told me Len was going to marry a Miss Rielly shortly.

I suppose Jack Connors will soon be getting married now. I am sorry my little Jane is leaving the Mount as I expect she will get some other boy now. How about Paddy? Does he still try & beat Frank Richards for his girl?

Lyell Bell's Brigade are up this way somewhere, they have had a good spell in the line, but I think they are out now, but it is too far away for me to go & see him. We are going to be reviewed by some big head to-morrow & have got all our gear cleaned & polished as if we were on garrison duty.

I do not know when we are going in the line, but I think, it is nearly time we had a turn. It has been very rough & windy to-day & it rains pretty often, but soon dries up again.


Rain-soaked trenches in France

I think some of your letters have been sunk as I did not get the one saying that Mrs. Cutts had paid the money and that you had sent her the receipt. Harry Tralaggan not been very well & is in Hospital for a few days but is getting on alright now.

Well I must close now, hoping you are all well.

I remain,

Your Loving Son and Brother,

Tom