Belguim; September 29, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

I am writing this in the front line on some ground that has only just been taken. Except for a few odd shells we are having a fairly quiet time as Fritz is considerably frightened of our artillery barrage & does not care to expose himself to it.

Yesterday morning about a 100 Fritz's came in & gave themselves up to the people just alongside us. It was funny to see them coming in in little parties of about a dozen & our chaps taking charge of them, getting souvenirs & giving them cigarettes. They have had their hearts knocked out by our artillery which is something terrible up here when it opens up & I do not wonder at the Fritz is getting tired of it.




Since last writing to you I have received two letters. One from Kath (July 11th) & one from Annie (July 16th) & was glad to hear you were getting on alright.

I saw Mat & Mick Griffen last Sunday they had just come out after being in one of those big attacks that have been going on here. They both got through alright, but Mat had a narrow escape. A piece of shell whizzed past his face & just took a bit off his nose. Pretty close I reckon. Sgt. Lackmann I believe was killed, but, the other lads we know are alright.

Lyall Bell came & saw me the other day. He is quite well & had a hand in the Messines stunt. He told me he was nearly buried by a shell there, but little trifles like that don't count much in this part of the world.

2nd October.
We are back from the line again & having a quiet spell for a few days, when I think we will be going back for a bit more "stoush". When I got back I received two letters one from Mum &
Annie (July 24th) & one from George Dare (July 18th). I was sorry you had not received any letters from me but they must have been sunk because I write fairly regularly & you should hear from we every mail.

I do not know how much longer the war will last but I think it will go at at least another twelve months although Fritz is a beaten man. If the Russians had done anything this summer it would most likely have been over by this. The weather is still keeping good but the nights are getting chilly. I believe there was some heavy floods in S.A. in July, especially down Adelaide way.

Well I must close now as I have to go on guard directly.

Hoping you are all quite well as I am.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom.