Belgium; October 6, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

Since last writing I have received a lot of letters, one each from Siss & George, 2 from Kathleen, & 2 or 3 from Mum & Annie the latest being August 9th. As I expected, there was evidently some of my letters on the "Mongolia". In one of these I acknowledged the parcel of flannels & told you not to send me any eatables as I can buy plenty here if I want it, but any warm clothing arriving here between October & March are always very welcome. I have only received that one parcel so I suppose the others were lost at sea.





It is raining here now & it is getting very cold, the first snap of winter. I sent a lot of Christmas cards away yesterday. I hope they reach their destinations safely.

October 19th.
Since writing the first part of this letter I have been wounded as I expect you will know before you receive this. I was hit on the inside of the left leg, about a foot above the knee, by a piece of shell. I expect it will be about two months before I will be fit for duty again. It is a fairly big cut but did not touch the bone, but it cut some big veins & I lost a fair drop of blood. I am in an American hospital on the coast of France but may be sent to England at any time.


Nurses in American hospital in France

Now do not worry about me because I will be alright soon & Remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom