France; August 12, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a little note to let you know I am quite well & doing alright.

I was going to see Mat & Mick last Sunday but met them coming over to our camp. They are both quite well. On Friday night I went to see Frank & Aleck, they are just back from leave in England & are both doing pretty well. I saw Lorrie Bell too, they tell me Jim Burton has lost his right foot, so I suppose he will soon be back at Mt. Bryan.

Harry Tralaggan was rather short of money so I gave him Five Pounds which his people will pay to you (I will mention this in another letter in case this goes astray). I was very glad to get rid of the money as it was a regular nuisance to me. I have not drawn any pay since I came to France so I have a credit balance of about fifteen Pounds in my Pay Book, which I could draw at Headquarters in London if I wanted it.

We are camped near a canal here & can see the barges going by. They are drawn by one & sometimes two horses.




We can swim in the canal if we like, but I have not been in yet. We went & had a hot bath & some new clothes this afternoon. We generally have the afternoon off & then the troops play cricket etc. We have some very good cricketers in our Company. Tom Dearlove from Ketchowla is in B Company. I have not spoken to him as I did not know him much home. Harry Webster from Leighton is in B. Company too.

Well I must close now as it is nearly tea-time.

Hoping you are all well.

I remain

Your loving Son & Brother

Tom.