France; August 3, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

I got two letters to-day, one from Annie & Mum (May 27th & 28th) & one from Kath (lay 29th) & was glad to hear you were doing alright & had had plenty of rain. Your letters from 1st to 27th May are evidently down with Davy Jones. I was glad to hear Mrs. Cutts was paying the £10.0.0 into Elders alright, but the Military are undoubtedly slow with my C.D.P.




Since last writing to you we have shifted a long way. We had a long ride in a train & a little march of about 5 miles to finish up. We are now billeted in a stable at a big farm-house. We are still a good way behind the line.

I saw Bert Lilley again the other day. He is attached to Brigade Headquarters as a runner, his job is to take messages to the Battalions & he does not have to go right in the line, so unless he is very unlucky he should get through alright. They are camped about 3 miles from us, so I will see Mat & Mick & the other lads if we do not move too soon.

It has been very wet since we came here & things are pretty sloppy. The crops here are nearly ripe & are the heaviest I have seen in France. I saw Noel Tiver the other day. He is in the Light Trench Masters & is quite well. I suppose Sis & George are quite a staid, steady couple by this time. I hear there is some likelihood of Charlie getting married & all living at Glen Dare. Yours Truly tips some stormy weather if that goes on for long.

I saw in a Casualty list where poor old Jack O'Reilly is missing. Bert Lilley tells me he does not hear so regularly from Mt. Bryan since I left, but he got a parcel from Annie a little while ago. I do not know when we are going in the line again, but I wish we would go in & make a splash & be done with it before the winter comes on.

Well I must close now hoping you are all quite well & getting along alright.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom.