Portsmouth; November 27, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know how I am getting along.

My leg is getting along very well. I go out every afternoon for a bit of a walk, & I find this "wounded soldier" business is the best "stunt" I have been on for a good while, that is, of course if the "crack"is not too hard. I was out walking the other day & I was "swinging" my leg so well that a young lady came & offered me a walking stick to help me along. I very very politely declined her nice offer. I do not know if you have heard the saying "swinging the leg, or lead", but, it means dodging the "line" & it is a very common phrase this side of the world.

I went to a stock market the other day. Things were rather dear. Cattle, that would dress from 8 to 10 cwt were bringing from £ 30.0.0. to £40.0.0. Calves that we would knock on the head £2.0.0 and £3.0.0. and sheep that would dress about 70 lb £5.5.0. Meat is of course very dear & runs from 1/2d to 1/8d a lb. I saw a price list of Australian Jam in a shop window to-day. It was from 1/3½ d for plum to 1/8½ d for black currant per 27 oz. tin. Sugar is only obtainable on the card system. In the hospital we scarcely get any Jam but have plenty of bread & margarine. It is real good margarine, almost as good as butter. We have fish or sometimes an egg for breakfast & meat & vegetables & pudding for dinner & I do very well on it. I do not think Germany is at all likely to starve England out but it may put a serious strain on us supplying some of our Allies.

I will be sent out of this hospital to another any day now. I may be sent to one of the Australian hospitals at Dartford or Harefield near London, or perhaps to some small place not far away. If it is no worse than this place it will do me.


I went to a Confirmation Service at a little Church not far from here last Sunday. There were a good many little boys & girls confirmed. When the Bishop was addressing them, asking catechism etc., he was very keen on their going to Church every Sunday at least - take note "all" boys who neglect Church.

We have not had any very cold weather yet, the winter being I think rather later than last year. It may not be so cold as last winter. I hope not anyhow. I had my "Phiz" taken the other day in my hospital "blues". I am enclosing one in this letter. It is a "Dinkum" likeness but, the blue shows up grey in the photo.

Fruit is very dear here. Grapes from 1/- to 2/- per lb. & other fruit in proportion. Apples being about the cheapest from -/4d -/6d per lb.

I saw in a Casualty list over here the other day where a C. Pohlner was wounded. I do not know if it was Charley or not but I think it was. I see they are having another go at conscription again but I bet No wins. I suppose you are busy hay-making now. I hope things are going alright home. Well I must close now. Hoping you are all quite well.

I remain

Your Loving Son and Brother

Tom