France; July 5, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know that I am quit e well and doing alright.

We had our Divisional competitions yesterday and though it looked like rain in the morning, it fined up nicely in the afternoon and we had a very good day. We were in the Company drill competitions & came second -the 38th Battalion beating us - but I don't think they had very much to spare.

I went to a French church last Sunday. It was a nice little church & they had very nice singing. They sing all the Mass. The Churches here are all done up magnificently inside and some of them are very old.

In a casualty list the other day I saw where a J. F. Dann, Oodlawirra had died of wounds. I suppose it was George's brother. Very hard luck for his people to lose two boys.

The crops are all out in ear now. The French people are making their hay. They cut patches of grass or anything, using a mower to cut it. They have queer ways of farming, there are no fences & each farmer has his land set out in little pieces & grows wheat on one, barley another, beet on another & so on. Each piece only being about an acre, or less. They drive their horses with one rein. Their ploughs are comics, a single furrow has two ploughs - one ploughing & one up in the air. When they come to the end they change ploughs & go back the same side, the plough turning the soil over the same way. This does away with furrows & keeps the ground level.




July 7th.

I am at a Brigade bayonet school for a few days now but will be back with the Battalion Monday. The weather is splendid & everything is lovely & green. I would not take any notice of the rumours of no green etc. as it is probably only bluff.

I have heard there is an Australian mail for troops in now. Well I will close now hoping you are all quite well.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom.