Dartford Hospital; February 13th, 1919

No. 3 Aust Aux Hospital
Dartford

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well. I was in hospital about a week in Glasgow & then reported back to London. When  I reported there I was quite rid of the "flu" but asked the "doc" if he thought they could give me any treatment to improve my leg & he sent me down here for massage treatment. This is the same place that I was in last year. You see although my leg was good enough for the soldiering business, it will be a different tale when I have to punch a shovel into a heap of metal, or carry a bag of wheat. So if I can get some treatment that would improve it at all I will take it, but I do not think they can do much for me. Anyhow if I stay in hospital long enough I will not be sent back to France & might get home a bit quicker. I do not want to go back to France if I can help it as the army is not the some as it used to be, nobody cares how things go now & the life seems so useless that I would like to get out of it.



The weather here was very frosty & cold early in the week but to-day was quite a nice day. I went to a "Whist Drive" at Bexley Heath last night & got 3rd prize, a fairly decent pocket wallet. I sent home a parcel to-day with a lot of post-cards & views of different places also two matchbox holders one a Batt souvenir & one that was given me last night at Bexley Heath. I hope they get home alright.



I saw in the paper here the other day where the Government had received applications from 360,000 people who want to go to Australia, that will give some idea of the advertisement the A.I.F. has given Australia in this country.

Also I believe about 300 of the Aussies English wives, could not find their "husbands" or anyone who knew anything about them at all when they got out there, but of course any girl who married an "Aussie" took a big risk that way. There is going to be a concert here to-night. They generally have about two a week & we have pictures on Tuesday night.

There are a good many cases of influenza about & I see by the papers that it is very bad in Sydney & Melbourne. I do not know how long I will be able to "swing the lead" here but might go out any day.

Well, I will close now, hoping you are all quite well.

I remain Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom