Hurdcott; March 25, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well. I got back from Lyndhurst last night after a fairly successful course there. It was not the starvation place they said it was. I could live on the grub pretty comfortable although some of the others used to growl plenty & go out & get their tea in the town.

We spent an hour or so in Southampton when we were coming back & we were in Salisbury for awhile. There is a lovely Cathedral in Salisbury.

Most of the other chaps in the school secured girls in Lyndhurst but not me. I have not been able to find Frank Richards since I came back. They say he has gone to Weymouth but I suppose you will hear from him.

There has not been any Australian mail in the last fortnight. There is a sort of a scrambling pack up here to-day, with rumors of France etc. but I am taking it very cool & unconcerned as I think it is only a sort of a (see how quick you can pack up). But I hope to be on my way to France inside a fortnight & I will be very pleased to be going over.

I suppose you will soon be starting tilling now, they are planting potatoes & things every where here now, potatoes are very scarce in England.

After Tea.
Things are quietening down a bit now, but one company is standing by ready to turn out at any time. I am not in it at all, but if I thought it was France I would be. The rumors we hear would make you laugh. Germans landed in England etc., but I think it is all smoke.

Well I must close now, hoping you are all well as I am.

I remain,

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom.