France; July 13, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well & doing alright.

Our Division was reviewed by the King the other day and we had a splendid display. The ground was just like a busy show-ground. Our Company represented the Brigade to present arms to the King. After we left the ring the A.S.C., Artillery, Red Cross, Physical Exercise & a lot of other teams gave an exhibition of their smartness. The King did not stay very long as I guess he has a busy time looking at his troops. It was a lovely day, nice & warm.

I went & had a swim this afternoon & I think the Battalion is going for a route march & a swim to-morrow. Some Fritz prisoners are cutting some of the big Beech trees around our camp. They have put up a little saw mill & saw the timber up. It will be used for making roads etc. in the wet-weather. Most of the prisoners seem fairly handy with timber. They are well treated & I suppose have never been better fed in their lives. I do not think our prisoners are so well treated in Germany.



German POWs with Australian troops

They tell us that our last mail from Australia has been sunk, so we have not heard any news since the 1st May.

Saturday 14th.

We had our route march & swim this morning. The water was very pleasant, just a trifle cold going in. I hear it was the mail that left Adelaide 30th May that was lost at sea, so if you sent any important news from 1st to 30th May please repeat.

We expect to leave this camp shortly & will very likely shift a fair distance & probably see a fair
bit of the line, as our spell is just about over now. We hope to get in a good push shortly, which if the Russians keep worrying on the Eastern front may end the war. But somehow I think it will go another twelve months easy, although the Yanks might help a bit directly.

Well I must close now hoping you are all well & doing alright.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom.