France; November 5th, 1918



My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

I received .five letters yesterday one from Mum (August 5th) one from Nell (Aug 15; one from Siss (Aug 16th); two from Annie (Aug 5th & 12th) was glad to hear you were all doing alright & had been having such lovely rains, it is raining heavily here today.

I went to a small village about 2 miles away yesterday & had a look over a glass factory & a sugar mill. It was the first time I have ever seen glass blown & I tell you they are pretty slippery about it.



In the sugar mill they take the Beet, wash it with Machinery, crush it & extract the juice & then the farmers take away the crushed Beet & feed it to their cows & sheep. The Y.M.C.A. run a cinema show in a big Marquee about a mile away, they are very good pictures & I often go over to them.

Annie seems to be having a tremendously good time at her school, dancing, tennis & so forth.

I am enclosing one of our Batt Xmas cards, I expect it will be a bit late unless the Mediterranean is opened as I expect it will be on account of the armistice with Austria. Things are promising pretty well for a big victory for the Allies & I do not think peace is so very far off now, although I daresay the Germans will want a bit more hammering to convince them that we are the winners.

Well I will close now hoping you are all quite well.

I remain Your Loving Son & Brother,

Tom