France; November 13th, 1918


My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well & doing alright.

Since last writing to you we have heard very good news indeed & everybody is delighted to know the Germans have thrown in the towel & the armistice terms are so severe that it is not likely they will want to box-on again.



Yesterday every house &  vehicle was flying the flags of the Allies &  I believe in Paris the people went fairly wild with delight, it is a big thing for the French people. The chief topic of conversation among the troops of the A.I.F. is how soon are we to get home, but I do not expect to get home much before the end of 1919. I sent Henry Tralaggan £3.0.0 (three pounds) the other day which his people will pay to you. We had our first frost this morning & there was plenty of ice  about but it is a lovely sunshiny day now. We had our Brigade sports the other day, our Batt is 12 points to the good for the Brigade cup, you see they give a cup to the Batt that gets the largest number of firsts &  seconds in all contests.


Well I will close now hoping you are all well.

I remain Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom.