France; June 9th, 1918

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well. We are camped in little bivouacs now & the days are lovely & warm with nice chilly nights.





Since last writing I have seen Mat and Mick Griffen - they are both well. Mat is attached to the A.S.C. for the time. They tell me Bert, Frank, Aleck & Lorrie Bell are still going. Buzz Simmons is camped about ten miles away & I believe is quite well. He is a cobble in an ammunition Column. Bob Honan is in the same section. Mick said he saw Jack Soccins some time ago - he was quite alright. Bob Crewes has been wounded again.

We had a Church Parade this morning the first time we had a chance since I have been in France.

One of our lads had the bad luck to be drowned yesterday. We were in swimming & he went down quite near the bank & only came up once. He never struggled or sang out at all so I think his heart must have failed. He was in about 15 ft of water & they had a terrible job to get him out. The man who got down & tied a rope on him was very nearly done when he came up. They are having a funeral parade this afternoon. I am going to it. I suppose they will have the Brigade Band there, but I don't think they will have a firing party.

I see by the Record that the Burra Ladies Band has been doing quite a lot of playing in Adelaide & elsewhere. I also see where "yours truly" was having a tremendously good time in hospital at Portsmouth. I do know what my little Janie will think if she hears of such things & I am keeping as true as could be to her.

Well I will close now, hoping you are all well,

I remain

Your loving Son & Brother

Tom