Portsmouth; November 21, 1917

Ward A 15
5th Southern General Hospital
Milton Division

My Dear People,

Just a short note to let you know I am getting along first rate.

I am able to walk about now but it will be a month before my wound is healed up although it is very healthy and is doing first rate. Of course the bandages hinder me a bit but I think I will go for a stroll tomorrow. I do not use a stick as I have no faith in them. They are like girls, they would let you down if it came to a pinch.




There is a lady here who looks after the Australians here and gives us our Red Cross stuff, cigaretes etc. I got a razor etc. off her. We are looked after real well. There is a chap here who was in the same section as Bert Lilley and he tells me Bert won the Military Medal - good luck to him.

I do not know how long I will be here. I might be sent out to an Australian hospital at any time. We are paid the magnificant sum of 3/- a week here but I do not spend any at all as I do not want for anything.

I am enclosing the bit of shell that made a hole in my leg. If ever I get home I will make a watch pendant of it. Well I must close now. Hoping you are all quite well.

I remain

Your Loving Son and Brother

Tom