France; July 7, 1918

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know that I am quite well and doing all right. Things are not too bad now, the weather is good, there has been a bit of fighting going on, but, everyone is waiting to Fritz's next big push which will happen any time now. If he does not hurry up you'll not be able to force the Allies to terms as the Americans are becoming very serious item in our armies and they are getting over here at an enormous rate, so I don't think that there will be any peace for a long time yet.

I have been promoted to Corporal and I am altering my allotment from 26th of July to 6/6 per day. 1/6 is deferred. I'm still drawing 2/- per day and from that 26/7/18 you will draw home 6/6 instead of 3/-. Of course it will be some months before it is paid to you as it takes a long time to go through from here but the pay will probably be sent to you in a lump sum, when the alteration goes through. I have been drawing 5/6 per day as a temporary Cpl for nearly 3 months and by the end of July may Pay Book will have a credit bounds of £45.0.0 which is a very nice sum to how of available over here, besides that I have a fair bit of cash on hand as I have spent practically nothing since I came to France this time. There is an Australian mail in and we will probably get it in a day or so. Hoping you all well.

I remain

Your loving son and brother,

Tom.