Address torn out; September 20, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a short note to let you know I am quite well. As you will see from my address we have shifted camp since I last wrote to you & are a bit nearer the line but still a good way off.

I have just received a letter from Hilda Pohlner (July 1st). They were quite well then, she gave me all the news of that part.

The people here grow a lot of hops. They are just ripe now, so some of our chaps do a bit of picking. The hop plant grows a lot different to what I thought it did. I reckoned it was a little bush, but they put up poles about 15 ft high & have wires crossed all over the top Then they tie a thin piece of wire with a piece of string and tie the other end in the ground.



They plant the hops in April & they climb up the thin wire right to tie top, & hang down like a great big bunch of mistletoe. When they go to pick them they cut the string with a knife arrangement on a long pole and they whole plant comes down. Then they sit in chair and pick off the hops & put then in a cane basket. The contract price is threepence a basket. I guess I would starve at that game.

I see in the Record that Ralph Thomas has been having a good time invalided in England.

It is my Birthday to-day & I am twenty-five, terrible old isn't it.

Well I must close now. Hoping you are all well & doing alright

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom