France; April 12, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

We joined our Battalion to-day but have not been in the trenches yet. It was on Easter Sunday that I first saw the destruction of war & I can tell you it is impossible to describe the mess they have made of this country.



There has been some snow & rain here lately & things are pretty sloppy. I saw Harry Tralaggan & W. Arnolds. Harry had letters dated 13th Feb. & he told me Mrs. Dare was married also that George was going to be married "Ha Ha". I saw Noel Tiver on the trip up, he was quite well.

During my travels in France I live seen the figure of The Virgin Mother & Child on a Church. The statue is leaning right over as I had read before I came here. We can hear the guns going for smash not far away. There has been some big advances going on lately. But I think there is a lot of hard fighting to be done yet. They have more N.C.O.s here than they want so I have reverted to the ranks & in future my address will be

No. 4245
Pte T.J. Quinn
A. Coy
32nd Batt.

Of course if I live long enough I will have opportunity of rising again. Our Batt is in the 5th Australian Division & has done some pretty solid work at times. There are practically no French people here, but the French ladies I saw coming here are rather good looking. A lot of them were working in the fends. Well, I must close now as the censor will not allow me to say too much, but as long as you know I am well & happy that is all that is necessary.

Hoping you are all well.

I remain,

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom