Hurdcott; January 27, 1918

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite alright.

I received 3 letters yesterday; 2 from Mum (Sept 25th & Oct 25th) and one from Sis (28th Oct) & I was glad to hear you were alright.

I received your parcel this morning it was quite alright. Leather waistcoat (a regular beauty) shirt & flannel, 2 pairs socks, skull cap from Eva Thomas, chocolates, cocoa, housewife & smokes.

The cocoa tin burst & got over everything. It burst in the. parcel I got from you last Year too but the letter I wrote telling you about it went down on the Mongolia. The tins are not properly soldered and do not stand the rough handling.

The waistcoat is not necessary here in England especially as it has been very mild so far but, it will be splendid in France. The shirts are of course very acceptable although I have a good new lot of underwear here & socks are always welcome especially in winter.

In France, when the summer comes on, we hand in our waistcoats, cardigans, rain-coats etc. as it is impossible for us to carry them about, & then when the winter starts we are issued with them again. If they did not do this the troops would dump them anywhere, even if they had to pay for a new lot next winter. I used to carry a terrible big pack last year in France but I was so fit & strong it did not trouble me. I guess I will travel a bit lighter this summer.

I saw in a list here where Augie Pohlner was going home. I suppose Cyril Collins was very glad to get home. He had a good long spin over here.

Mum mentioned in her letter that Roy Tralaggan had sent in the £5 that I gave Henry in France. Some of the December mail from Australia here has, I believe, been lost at sea.

Sis tells me that Charlie Dare was married alright & was spending his honey-moon at Mt. Gambier. I suppose poor Claire has got another boy or two by this.

My wound has quite healed up & I pulled the last dressing off last night after over 14 weeks dressing. It has left a lovely clean scar which I will carry as long as I live. I am quite fit
for furlough now & I expect to go shortly. One of our Sgts in France went to Paris for leave (they are giving Paris leave to N.C.O.s & men as well as officers). He had such a good time that he does
not want English leave but, wants his 14 days in Paris. I would like to see Paris if I got a chance.

I am enclosing a map of Australia on the hill here at Hurdcott. It is done with white chalk stone & is longingly watched by the troops camped here.

I suppose you will be nearly finished harvesting by now. I hope you did not have too much trouble getting it off. Well I must close now hoping you are all well.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom