S.S. Afric. Sat 11th November 1916

My Dear People,

Just a line to let you know how I am getting on.

We left the Outer Harbor about Midnight Tuesday. I was well asleep. Next morning the sea was lovely and smooth but after we passed Kangaroo Island we struck a long slow swell which of course turned up a considerable number of our men, but as I anticipated I am a good sailor and love the swing of the old boat. Yesterday it was windy and rough but it is fine to-day.

Soldiers waiting to board the HMAT Afric

There are a lot of men on this boat, about 900 N.S.W. men and 600 S.A.s, besides the crew. I do not know whether we will call at the West or not but a small boat might come out and take the mail. We are being well treated here and I am enjoying the trip splendidly. We saw some whales in the distance this morning. We have only seen one ship on the trip, a steamer making for Adelaide. Hoping you are all well as I am.

I remain

Tom.