Mitcham Camp, August 31st, 1916

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know how I am getting on.
I got John's letter to-day, my word you must have had a great turn out at the concert it must have been a great success. I hope the tree you named after me grows alright. I went out to Sandfords last - night it is a very nice place there was no one home only Nell and the other girl. So I had a good look round. We are still at our writing and drawing and some of the fellows can draw splendid but mine are generally pretty rough drawing never was a strong point of mine. I do not know what sort of an examination we have here but I think you have to go out and draw a grenade or something on the board and explain it to the class, there are a lot of different kinds and we have got to know a good bit about all the explosives used in the army and navy.



We only parade two nights a week here in the bombing school so you can clear out at five any other night if you like. A T. Penglase is in the class but him and a lot more do not sleep here at all. I have got down onto the good old boards here no straw you can get straw if you like but I didn't bother, but I sleep colder here than at Exhibition but you soon get used to it, there are very few men left here now.

Friday night. I got a letter from Sis this morning. I just came up to town and met Poor old Jim Griffen and he told me his mother was dead. I was so sorry and surprised I never knew she was ill or anything. I will go to her funeral tomorrow. Stewart Sommerville had a bit of bad luck he broke his arm the other day he got thrown off a horse. I must close now hoping you are well as I am.

I remain

Your loving Son and Brother

Tom