France; July 21, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

We are still in the same camp, but had a trip of about 13 miles to a place the other day. Stayed away the night & came back next day. The whole Brigade was on this march we carried full packs, & very few of the men fell out, although some of them had very tender feet when we got back. Marching does not trouble me much & I can carry my pack as well as most. There is some probability of us doing a fair bit of tramping directly.

We have not had any mail from Australia since 1st May, & I have not seen or heard anything of the other boys over here. We are still having leave to the town I told you of & I could go again if I wanted to, but I don't think I will bother.

Sunday 22nd.
We had Church parade this morning. We go to a little French Church about a mile away & have Mass before the French people have theirs. We had a thunder-shower yesterday but it is a lovely day to-day, & I think I will go for a swim this afternoon & get a few black-berries on the way, as they are nearly ripe now. We can also get a few strawberries if we like here as they grow wild in these parts.

Well I must close now as it is nearly dinner-time & there is not much news.

Hoping you are all well.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom

Later.
Bert Lilley came & saw me this afternoon. I was away swimming when he came, but he waited till I came back. I was very glad to see him. He tells me Mick Griffen is back with the Battalion again & Mat is fairly well. Frank Cahill & Alick Burton have gone to England on leave. Bert is quite well & wishes to be remembered to you all. They are camped about 15 miles from us, but he came on a bike. If I could get one I would go & see them all.

Tom