France; January 9th, 1919

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well. I got back to the Batt yesterday from Paris. I had a splendid trip, I did not get into Paris till Boxing day.



It is a very fine city & the life is very gay there. I sent home some views which I hope you get alright. When I was coming home I came on the express to Brussels & stayed there two days, Brussels is a good lively place & the war  does not seem to have hurt it much, but everything is dreadful dear, I would not care to have a wife & family to keep over here, a pair of boots cost  £6.0.0, meat is 5/- per pound, butter the same, eggs 1/3d each & a ladies costume about £16.0.0 for quite an ordinary dress. The people all seem to have any amount of money. Fritz did not take very much stuff away as I think he expected to always have Belgium. The towns here all have electric light & any sized place has electric cars.

I came back from Brussels to Charleroi, passing through the village of Waterloo, but the battlefield was a couple of miles away. When I got to Charleroi I met Mat & went out & stayed with him for two days & saw all the other lads Frank, Aleck, Bert, Noel & Ern Ray, they are all billeted in & around Charleroi & most of them are sleeping in beds in private houses with the trams (on which they ride for nothing) running right past their doors. They are all very well & lucky to be in such a good place. Ern Ray has not altered much & tells me he is going to get married in England. Mat has gone to Blighty on leave, he told me he was going to Ireland. So you see I had quite a big trip & enjoyed it very much, it cost me £12.0.0 & I was away 16 days. I should get Blighty leave inside two months.

When I got back there were two letters for me one from Dad (October 27th) & one from Annie (October 25th) I was sorry to hear Uncle Dan was ill & hope he is well again now.

(Jar 10th) I got 4 more letters from home today, one from Mum (Nov 11th: one from Annie (Nov 7th) one from Siss (Nov 10th) & a Xmas card from Nell. I was very sorry to hear Uncle Dan was so ill.

A few of our earlier men are going home now & they seem to be getting them home fairly quick now. The winter has been very mild so far & we have not had any snow in France yet. A lot of Canadians & Americans are going down to Nice for their leave. The climate is lovely down there, sunshine all day; it only rains there about twice a year, but, I do.not think there is as much life there as in Paris.

Well I will close now hoping you are all well.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom.