France; April 22, 1917

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

I have not been in the line yet so am not a "Dinkum" yet. We are having a quiet rest to-day. We have been moving around every few days but as the weather is getting much finer things are not too bad at all & most of the mud is dried up. We are fed pretty well & I am in very good health.



I was quite close to Bert Lilley's Batt the other day but did not have a chance to go & ask for him or Matt. I have not had any mail yet, but I hope you have been getting along alright. I saw in a casualty list that George Dann died of wounds. Harry Tralaggan told me he was transferred into another Battalion. I suppose his poor mother will been a state about it. He & Harry were mates coming over on the boat.

They have been giving Fritz some hurry up on this front lately & things look fairly promising.

I remain

Your Loving Son & Brother

Tom.

Later.
I have just received 4 letters one from Dad (Jan28th) one from Annie (Feb-4th) one from Mum (Feb. 19th) & one from Nelll Simmons acknowledging a photo & a post-card I sent her from Durban. I was very pleased to get them, they have been loitering around England for a week or two. In Dad's letter were two photos of the harvester. I was very pleased with them & would have been in my glory reaping such a nice crop. I was afraid you would have trouble with my harvester but if I get back I will be able to work it alright. I am very glad the crop at A.V. [Almondvale] went so well. I would not change A.V. for any place I have seen in all my travels.

I suppose Willie is considerable proud of being able to drive the harvester. I am glad the lads like their teacher. Nell Simmons told me she was going home for awhile & then going to live with Pat & Mill. I was very much amused over a piece of news in Mum's letter. I have not received the parcel of flannels yet but I am not badly in need of them. The trouble is that we have to carry all our stuff in our packs when we move & usually have to carry a blanket & water-proof sheet as well, so it does not pay to have much gear. I have got a change of under-clothes with me now. Most of the lads only have what they stand up in & get a change from the Q.M. store's every 2 or 3 months & of course ' as they do not get a bath very often they have plenty of "friends" to keep them company.

I do not want anything else as there are canteens about except when you are right in the line. I have plenty of money, in fact rather too much, as you would not be very likely to get it if I am knocked out. For that reason I am not drawing any pay here, this will give me a credit in my pay-book which I could draw in London if I was wounded & would be paid to you if I am knocked out. You need not worry much about my pay for the trip-over, as although the Military seem rather slow to an outsider you do not realize what a tremendous organization it is until you are in it & see for yourself what an enormous lot of work there is in organizing an Army. At any rate, the Military have treated me very well so far & it has been quite a pleasant change for me although I have not seen any of Fritz's shells very close yet.

I saw a German aeroplane brought down by guns this morning. It fell about 2 miles away & I guess it hit the ground with a considerable bump. There are plenty of them over here, but I have not seen a fight between two planes yet. If the war is still going in September I would like you to send me a parcel of under-wear & socks. These would then reach me before next winter, if I am still at it, but do not send a scarf as I would not wear it.

In the canteens here you can buy tinned sausages, fish, fruit, chocolate biscuits, etc. but I have not had to buy any yet although the lads are always buying whenever they get a chance. I do not have their worry of tobacco & cigarettes which they are always short of as they smoke a terrible lot.

I was indeed very much surprised to hear that Mr. Dare was married again & could hardly believe H. Tralaggan when he told me - perhaps there is a chance for me yet. Fred Pohlner is in the 5th Divisional Artillery but I have not seen him. H.T. told me he was trying to get in the Flying Corps the last time he saw him. Augie was in this Batt when he was wounded as a part of his reinforcement was transferred here. I do not know where he is now. I have not heard anything of Ralph Thomas & do not know what he is in at all.

You need not worry much about me as unless I get in the way of one of Fritz's nasty shells or bullets I will be as right as rain. I do not like the mud & wet at all but most of that is over now for a few months & perhaps the war will be over before next winter. Well this is rather a long P.S. so will close now.

Tom.